Today, my guest is Maddy Osman. She is the founder and creator of The Blogsmith, which is a company that, as the name might imply, focuses on creating data-driven content typically for businesses in the B2B world. She's also done work for some larger-scale personal injury attorneys and has written a book called Writing for Humans and Robots, The New Rules of Content Style, and I think we, as attorneys, gravitate towards content marketing, because it’s something that we understand. What the book does is give you a lot more resources, and a lot more understanding of exactly how to do that writing. From there, you may find yourself in a position where you might want to use a company service, such as The Blogsmith. It's a really interesting conversation, you can tell that she's spent a lot of time in the trenches, understanding how Google works, and how content marketing works, so I think it's something that we could all benefit from.
In this episode, Neil and Maddy discuss:
- Maddy’s journey into writing content for different industries and professionals.
- Positioning content properly.
- The purpose of keyword research and factoring in graphics.
- Creating a writing style guide for yourself or others writing on your behalf.
- It’s more than just writing a blog post. It’s about what you write and how you write it.
- Working with a professional, experienced content writer, such as The Blogsmith, can help to free up your time and energy as you are running your law firm.
- You want your reader to have an enjoyable reading experience. Pages of blanket text that look like a novel are not likely to be desirable to the reader.
- Graphics in your articles do not need to be custom branded or even a photo.
"Before you really start any piece of content, you have to consider the goal of why you're creating that content. And if you don't have one, then you probably shouldn't start on that piece yet." — Maddy Osman
Get in touch with Maddy Osman:
Thank you to our sponsors!
- Ruby Receptionist - Virtual receptionist & live call services that will help you grow your office (and save money), one call at a time - to learn more, go to http://ruby.com/ or call 844.311.7829
- The Net Profit CFO - Ryan Kimler works with attorneys who want to enjoy higher net profits without working longer or harder. With just 9 Simple Numbers, Ryan will help you drive more profit to your bottom line-and he won't confuse you with all the details! Connect with Ryan at www.netprofitcfo.com.
Get in touch with Neil:
If you’ve enjoyed the podcast, please head to Apple Podcasts and leave a rating & review for the show! It only takes a moment, and really helps me to reach new listeners. You can also head to the website at TheLawEntrepreneur.com for more information on the podcast and my legal services.
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You're the expert. Your podcast will prove it.