RR 072: Tony Molla on the 21st Century Repair Shop
Tony Molla, Vice President of ASA, The Automotive Service Association and I hand a frank discussion on ‘The 21st Century Repair Shop’. You will take-a-way a perspective on the:
Need for a learning culture
Impact of technology
Need for owners to be involved in the industry, to network and to be involved in 20 groups
Need to create educational opportunities for service writers and technicians, but as important business management education for shop owners.
We talked internships, mentoring, millennials, STEM and a trend in who will buy shops in the future because shops will need to be run more professionally and be more upscale as we move through the 21st century. You’ve had the pleasure to hear Tony in episode 66 where we discussed his role at ASA.
Tony has over 35 years’ experience in the automotive service industry and has held positions at all levels, including technician, service manager, parts store manager, new car sales and automotive technical editor writing service manuals for the Chilton Book Company. He has authored more than a dozen technical and car care manuals for both professional technicians and consumers.
Prior to joining ASA in May, 2015, Tony spent fifteen years as Vice President, Communications for the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE). He also spent nine years as the Editorial Director of Motor Age magazine and Automotive Body Repair News (ABRN).
Tony Molla is an ASE certified automotive technician, past president of the Automotive Communications Council, and a regular presenter and moderator at many industry events annually.
Tony’s honors include:
• Honorary lifetime member of the Mobile Air Conditioning Society Worldwide (MACS)
• Collision Industry Conference Q Award,
• Ten Chilton Outstanding Editorial Achievement awards
• Chilton Editor of the Year award
• Two Society of Automotive Journalists MOTO awards
• The Jesse H. Neal Editorial Award for his editorials in Motor Age Magazine
• Honored with the Northwood University Automotive Aftermarket Management Education Award in 2012.