In this episode, we interview Kim Christfort, co-author of the book "The Breakthrough Manifesto: Ten Principles to Spark Transformative Innovation." Kim, who is the chief innovation leader for executive accelerators at Deloitte, shares insights on what holds us back from innovating and how to overcome those barriers. We dive into topics such as the importance of silencing our cynic, the power of stripping away unnecessary complexity, and the role of healthy conflict in driving innovation. Kim provides practical advice for leaders facing challenges in fostering innovation within their organizations.
Key learnings from this episode:
1. Silencing our cynic: While critical thinking is important, cynicism can be toxic and hinder innovation. It's crucial to differentiate between the two and be open to new possibilities.
2. Stripping away complexity: Adopting a beginner's mindset and shedding layers of assumptions and beliefs can help us see things with a fresh perspective.
3. Healthy conflict: Encouraging constructive disagreements and fostering an environment where differing viewpoints can be shared openly is essential for driving innovation.
4. Don't play nice: Leaders should prioritize effectiveness over being liked and be willing to have difficult conversations to challenge ideas and move forward.
5. Overcoming organizational barriers: Understanding the language and values of the company and framing innovation opportunities in a way that resonates with the organization can increase the chances of being heard.