Harris Rosen and Ashley Bacot of Rosen Hotels & Resorts join Michael in this episode of the Reconstructing Healthcare podcast to discuss how they’ve saved over $450 million in healthcare costs by implementing their own self-insured healthcare model.
Rosen Hotels and Resorts has over 4,500 employees and turns over $350 million in revenue per year through their multiple hotels and resorts throughout Orlando, Florida. Harris and Ashley have created a healthcare model that not only saves the company in healthcare costs, but also provides healthier lifestyles for their employees, as they can choose their health over their wallet via the cost savings.
Harris Rosen is the President and COO of Rosen Hotels & Resorts and has not only seen the growth of his hotel business, but through the success of his healthcare program, has created ProvInsure to implement their healthcare model into other companies.
Ashley Bacot is the President of ProvInsure and Risk Manager for Rosen Hotels & Resorts. Ashley was integral in creating the self-insured healthcare model for Rosen that has helped save nearly half a billion dollars in healthcare costs since inception.
Here’s a glance at what you’ll learn from Harris and Ashley in this episode:
- How Rosen Hotels & Resorts implemented their own self-insured healthcare model to save over $450 million since inception.
- The lessons taken from the Great Depression to survive COVID-19.
- How to remove the barriers within your healthcare plan to have healthier employees and reduce costs.
- The steps you can implement to allow your employees to choose their health over their wallet.
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 0:20 – Welcoming Harris and Ashley to the show
- 1:12 – Who is Harris Rosen?
- 1:50 – Who is Ashley Bacot?
- 3:00 – The history of Rosen Hotels & Resorts and how they grew into a $361 million per year company.
- 7:30 – How Rosen’s grandparents lessons on debt helped Rosen Hotels & Resorts survive through COVID-19.
- 10:30 – Trying an alternate path: How an increase in healthcare costs led Harris to explore ways to provide primary care to his own employees.
- 15:00 – “Rosen Care”: The initial success that led to over $450 million in healthcare savings.
- 17:30 – Primary Care: Increasing access to quality primary care to employees via clinic access, benefit design & removing barriers.
- 23:10 – How having an onsite clinic has impacted the health of employees and has lowered healthcare costs
- 24:20 – Living by K.I.S.S and P.P.P.P.P.P – Keep It Simple Stupid and Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
- 25:50 – Encouraging Compliance: How to allow your employees to choose health over saving money
- 29:10 – Why hospitals aren’t interested in competition and why the government and employers should get tough
- 31:45 – Steering the employee towards high quality health care to create lower costs
- 33:30 – Saving nearly half a billion dollars and Harris Rosen’s philanthropy
- 39:00 – Managing a hospitality business and enticing people to work for Rosen Hotels and Resorts
- 43:00 – If there was one question I should have asked: Fighting back against the insurance companies
- 44:40 – How you can learn from Rosen’s model and implement it inside your business.