Leading by example with Dr. Martha D Saunders. LF054
Dr. Martha Saunders joins me on the Learning on Fire podcast and explores the most important learning and educational moments that shaped her life.
Dr. Martha Saunders is the sixth President of the University of West Florida. In her 30+ years in higher education, she has served in academic and leadership roles at universities in Florida, Georgia, Wisconsin and Mississippi.
Her area of academic expertise is in public relations and crisis communication, for which she has won numerous awards. Dr. Saunders established the UWF Innovation Institute, the Center for Research and Economic Opportunity, University College, Center for Cybersecurity and the Office of Equity, Diversity and International Programming. She oversaw the reorganization of the University’s colleges, and under her guidance, UWF established two new colleges—the Usha Kundu College of Health and the Hal Marcus College of Science and Engineering.
Saunders’ vision for UWF is for it to grow beyond its beginnings as a regional comprehensive university and be seen as a leader in innovation and cutting edge academic programs. She plans to build on the University’s strengths and its undergraduate traditions, while creating programs that will attract the faculty and research funding needed to make the leap to the next level.
As an entrepreneurial leader, Saunders is passionate about creating innovative solutions to deal with the dynamic challenges facing higher education. As a change-maker, she drives action behind these solutions to propel higher education into the future.
Questions asked on the Learning on Fire Podcast Interview
1. Who are you?
2. What does your life look like now and how is it different from when you were growing up?
3. What was valuable about your school experience?
4. Which teachers do you remember and why?
5. Who did you admire when you were young?
6. What was it about that person that had such an impact?
7. What was the best piece of advice you have ever been given and who gave it to you?
8. What advice would you give your younger self?
9. What does your future look like?
10. What podcast, book, video, film, song or other resource has had the biggest impact on your life and why?