Loading Episode...
Thriving on Purpose Podcast - Elisabeth and Sebastien Richard
Overcoming the Fear of Risk

Overcoming the Fear of Risk

 

Choose to be 'all in' for God

 

We face risk every day in our lives. Some of those risks we have learned to overcome and tame. These become a part of our daily routine through repeated experience, like riding our bikes or driving. 

 

Other risks are of the very real sort, like driving at breakneck speeds or diving off a 40-foot cliff into unknown waters. These we just avoid for obvious reasons. 

 

Finally, there are the risks that we perceive as such. These are perceived risks - our own personal boogeymen. For some, it can be falling in love. For others, it can be speaking in public. And for others still it can be starting a business or doing a video on social media. 

 

Today, we’re going to take the risk of addressing how to overcome the fear of risk. We’ll tackle it through the lens of the Parable of the Talents. As you will see by the end of this episode, risk is 80% imaginary. And the other 20%? Well, that’s all in your mind. :)

 

 

In this Episode you will:

 

Get a clear understanding of the difference between real and perceived risk.

 

Dive into how your mind processes risk… and how you have only 5 seconds to take it.

 

Understand how obeying God is never risky

 

Learn about a significant difference between the parable of the talents in Matthew and in Luke.

 

 

 

Memorable Quotes:

 

“The 5 Second Rule is simple. If you have the instinct to act on a goal, you must physically move within 5 seconds or your brain will kill it.”

 

 

“So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas. ‘Put this money to work,’ he said, ‘until I come back.’'

~ Luke 19:13 (NIV)

 

 

“Whatever God asks of us should never be seen as a risk. Can it be scary? Sometimes. Will it take you out of your comfort zone? Probably. Is it optional? Absolutely not.”

 

 

“God doesn’t call the equipped, He equips the called.” 

 

 

“Where God leads He provides.”

 

 

“The God who is in you emboldens and empowers you to do what your mind perceives as risky.”

 

 

“So many Christian entrepreneurs are more afraid of risking displeasing the crowd than displeasing the Master.”

 

 

Recommended Resources:

 

The 5 Second Rule: Transform your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage

 

 

 

Let us know in the comments below how this episode has impacted you :)