Hopewell Valley Student Podcasting Network
Show Name: Tennis Beyond The Court
Episode Title: The Best Returners of All Time
You are listening to Tennis Beyond The Court, the podcast with your host __Bradley Deeds.
In this episode of _Tennis Beyond The Court the Podcast we discuss: The Different Game Styles of tennis, the best returners of all time and another epic match of the sport!!
Segment 1: History:
Game style of tennis back then vs now.
- Back then, everyone played with a wooden racquet and they all liked to serve and volley since they did not understand the basic and proper movement around the court, so they tried to get to the net as quick as they could at every point.
- Once the pros started to pick up on this, they started to return earlier and closer to the baseline. This means they would take time away from their opponents so they could rush the net quicker and cut their time away.
Segment 2: The Best Returners of all time
- Novak Djockivic - he is absolutely known as the greatest returner of all time. His split step and balance is what allows him to have the best return and his ability to be so flexible is a gift from god that has allowed him to break everyone’s serves under pressure.
- Rafael Nadal - known as the greatest returner under pressure. Rafael Nadal always finds a way to break at the crucial moments based on his fighting spirit and never die attitude. He also sees the court differently than others which allows him to time the return so well.
- Nick Kyrgios - he has the most raw talent on the tour which allows him to have the most talented groundstrokes in the game. He has the cleanest backhand return which allows him to take it so early and dictate where he wants to hit it and how.
- Roger Federer - known as the greatest of all time, his return was up there as well. He is known for his one handed backhand slice which was phenomenal and he aimed it at his opponents leg so it would always be difficult for them to scoop it up and do something with the next shot. Federer had one of the most clutch returns.
- Who - Jannik Sinner and Pablo Carreno Busta.
- What - Semi finals of a master 1000
- Where - Miami Open, California
- When - 2021, January
How - They both advanced to the semi finals after winning 5 matches a piece and we all knew this was going to be a battle. Jannik lost the first set as Pablo was cruising and he took it 6-2. Pablo was serving for the match at 5-4 in the second set and Jannik would not let this opportunity slip out of his hands. He hit three return winners and ended up winning the second set 7-6(13-11). In the third set, he was down 5-2 but clutched it up for an insane comeback win which he won 7-6(9-7) to win the match and he and the crowd went wild!
Connect with us on Social Media