Listen on: Apple Podcasts | Spotify
If you are interested in starting your practice firm in the veterinary field, whether you are a practitioner or not, then this episode is for you. In the episode, our seasoned resident asker of questions, Brendan Howard, sits with Stith Keiser to discuss the props and meaningful insights involved in starting a veterinary business.
Stith is a seasoned business leader having graduated from Hope College with a B.A. in Business Management and Finance. He has previously served as the CEO of MyVeterinaryCareer, Business Manager at The American Animal Hospital Association, Adjunct Faculty at Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine, CEO of Blue Heron Consulting, and Founder & COO of Inspire Veterinary Partners. He currently serves as a partner at the Northwest Animal Hospital, a Learning Facilitator at Colorado State University, and at the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine.
In this episode, Stith gives an account of his upbringing and how it shaped his career choice. He also illuminates on the challenges many people face in starting and running a successful veterinary business.
This is an eye-opening episode worth your time.
- [00:00] Episode Intro
- [01:08] Stith Keiser gives a summary of his upbringing and how he ended up in the veterinarian business
- [04:24] Brendan asks Keiser if he was sure that after four years in a business school, he would still run his family’s veterinarian business.
- [05:30] Stith Keiser describes his career path just before and after graduating from the University.
- [08:12] Stith Keiser explains his career progress after taking a temporary job in the management and consulting field.
- [10:18] Brendan asks Stith to explain how the first company he founded moved into practice ownership and more.
- [14:30] Stith talks about how he shifted career fields before starting his practice firm.
- [17:44] Ad break. Learn more about our veterinary leadership program.
- [19:00] The episode resumes with Brendan asking Stith about his feelings when talking to people in the consulting field.
- [22:12] Stith talks about the barriers students face in owning their practice firms.
- [27:42] Brendan asks Stith if staffing is one of the reasons people shy away from owning a veterinarian business.
- [32:55] Brendan asks Stith if finding a good practice manager is important to the success of a veterinary business.
- [35:19] Outro Ad
- [36:09] The end
Sign up to Leaders to access the extended version of this podcast.