Interviewing with post-graduate training programs can be anxiety inducing. This episode we hear perspectives from current residents who have first hand experience going through both virtual and in-person interviews. We explore how to prepare, what to do during the interview, and how to handle tough situations.
This week on the Post-Graduate Pharmacist hear from two current residents, Macy Wiggington and Devan Rockwell. Macy is a PGY1 resident at the University of South Alabama University Hospital in Mobile, AL, and Devan is a PGY2 in ambulatory care at the University of South Alabama Health Physicians Groups in Mobile, AL.
This episode’s take-aways:
- Practice situational type questions, consider the STAR method (see our episode on the STAR method)
- Record yourself and review the recording
- Consider reaching out to your career services department at your university for mock interview training.
- Look at the agenda for the interview and know who you are interviewing.
- Be professional the entire interview.
- Follow-up with responses to questions you did not know during the interview that you stated you would look-up
- Send thank you emails or notes (prefer email if big institution due to complicated mail systems and potential delay's with physical letters)
- Don't be afraid to pause and reflect on the question.
Check out our website
Follow us on twitter @PGPharmacist or on Facebook and Instagram @ThePostGraduatePharmacist and leave us your comments or questions that we did not answer.
Music | "Sweet" by LiQWYD