Parenting Children After the Loss of a Spouse with Jenny Lisk of The Widowed Parent Podcast
In today’s episode, we are talking with Jenny Lisk, who lost her husband 5 years ago, leaving her to raise their two children on her own. Jenny shares the heartbreaking story of the loss of her husband and how it led to starting her podcast. The gap she found while looking for resources for her children to work through their grief is what inspired her to take action.
On her podcast, Jenny interviews experts, widowed parents, and adults who lost a parent as a child. She describes her approach to the show and what kind of preparation and research she does before each episode.
Our conversation transitions into talking about the charity Jenny supports, the National Alliance for Grieving Children, what they do, and how you can help.
We wrap up with Jenny giving some advice about why building a community and nurturing it is such a critical piece when starting a podcast.
· Jenny tells her story of personal loss (1:30)
· The reason Jenny started her podcast (07:21)
· Resources that are available during the pandemic (10:33)
· The moment Jenny decided to start a podcast (12:23)
· Jenny’s approach to her podcast (17:30)
· The research Jenny did before launching her podcast (23:42)
· Jenny’s #1 tip for good interviews (28:44)
· The charity Jenny supports, what they do, and why they are a great organization to support (31:30)
· Jenny’s advice to anyone who is looking to start a podcast and how building a community is such a critical piece (35:02)