You are most likely familiar with the song Danny Boy - Ireland's unofficial anthem. In this episode we first have a listen to Danny Boy and then choose 5 other songs which are also suitable contenders for the title of "Irish Anthem".
I define Irish anthems as songs that you are likely to hear both on the sports terraces and anywhere that Irish people gather for a celebration!
See if you agree - or maybe suggest one or two alternatives of your own.
Music featured in this episode:
- "Danny Boy" performed by Finbarr Wright.
- "Song for Ireland" performed by Mary Black and Dé Dannan.
- "Galway Bay" performed by Bing Crosby.
- "The Fields of Athenry" performed by Paddy Reilly.
- "Forty Shades of Green" performed by Roseanne Cash and Paul Brady.
- "The West's Asleep" performed by Lumière and Damien Dempsey.
Support the Letter from Ireland Show:
Thank you for listening to the Letter from Ireland show. To support the podcast, get lots of member-only features and follow Mike and Carina behind the scenes as they travel around Ireland go to ALetterfromIreland.com/plus .