As the founder of the Shemmassian Consulting Group and one of the world's foremost experts on medical school, grad school, and college admissions, Dr. Shirag Shemmassian has spent over 20 years helping 1000s of students get into the schools of their dreams. However, an important part of that success is all about embracing failure. That’s why it’s his One Big Tip!
Whether it’s when you’re applying to colleges or starting a business, Dr. Shemmassian says learning to be open to failure is vital. In fact, it’s one of the most important tools we can use for growth.
Dr. Shemmassian and I talk not only about the college application process and how failure plays into that, but also how failure is essential for all kinds of growth. Releasing your fear of failure allows you to take more risks, develop resilience, and navigate challenges - listen to this episode to hear about it all, and pick up some college admission tips as well.
In this episode
Support the show
- [1:44] Dr. Shemmassian gives us a rundown on his background and how he ended up founding the Shemmassian Academic Consulting Group.
- [7:33] Dr. Shemmassian’s one big tip is all about using failure as a learning tool. He explains how important it is to embrace failure, starting with the context of college admissions.
- [13:00] Dr. Shemmassian dives into the importance of failure in a broader context, including in business pursuits. He says being open to failure allows you to take more risks.
- [16:55] Dr. Shemmassian encounters a lot of parents who aren’t able to accept the possibility of failure. He says dealing with this is all about challenging preconceptions, which can be applied to all areas of life.
- [19:24] How much does the university you go to actually matter to your career? Dr. Shemmassian says it depends on the field.