We often think of purpose as something that comes from something you love, but more often than not, purpose comes from the hard things in life. For example, today we are talking with Mike Graglia, who found a purpose through the struggle of being a child's parent with SYNGAP1. A rare disease where a specific protein is not created that is essential for nerve growth. It is so rare that it wasn't recognized in humans until 2009.
Mike knew that information would be the key to advancing his and the medical community's understanding of this disease. So he started the non-profit SynGAP Research Fund to advance the research and treatments available for people with SynGAP1. His podcast, the SYNGAP10, is that purpose coming to life in a big way by providing listeners with the latest news each week in the community.
· How did SYNGAP1 become a part of your life (1:06)
· What are some issues with diagnosing the disease (2:42)
· What challenges did Mike have starting a non-profit (4:20)
· What has been some of the early impacts that foundation as had (6:33)
· How did adding a podcast become the right next step for the foundation (8:54)
· In what ways do you see the current structure of the podcast evolving (14:57)
· Deciding if a daily briefing podcast is a right fit for your cause (16:06)
For help, resources, and community support, please join the Causepods Facebook Group if you are already producing podcasts for a cause or are thinking about launching one.
And if you would like to be a guest on Causepods, please fill out this form and schedule your chat here.
Mentioned in this episode:
In Support of Podvoices.help June 2022 Campaign
****The pre-roll you heard is in support of https://www.podvoices.help/. The opinions expressed in this ad are solely the opinions of Mathew Passy and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of co-hosts or guests that may appear on this show. If links mentioned in the ad do not appear in these shownotes, please visit podvoices.help***