Bernadette Wagner started Prime Time for Women in 2018. She was in her late 50's and wondering about healthy aging. After some research, her intuition was confirmed. Positive social connections have a larger impact on our wellbeing as we age, and these connections are particularly important for women.
The program started with a live TV show in Hagerstown, MD. Since that time it has grown into a nonprofit that provides numerous activities to encourage social engagement and help local charities.
One of the slogans of Prime Time for Women is "every woman deserves to be seen and heard." To this end, there is a book club for members, hikes, walking for wellness, cooking opportunities.
One of the activites that we talked about were the Grandma Gatewood Hikes. The story Bernadette tells about Grandma Gatewood's determination to be the first woman to hike the Appalachian Trail at the age of 67 has many takeaway lessons for all of us.
- Don't let people tell you what you can't do
- Don't let people tell you, you are too old
- Follow your passion and your dreams.
We also talked about the neurochemcials of happiness and that positive emotional connections that get planted in our brains can bring back the originial sense of joy that they brought us.
1. Do it your way! Figure out your interests and then think about how you can benefit somebody else while pursuing your interest.
2. Why benefit someone else? Because when you feel purposeful you have a greater opportunity for improved health
3. Positive social connections have a greater impact on physical health and emotional wellbeing than diet and exercise combined.
Thanks so much for listening.
Please support our sponsor at RoadScholar.org/heyboomer
Subscribe on Apple Podcast, Stitcher , Google Podcast. or Spotify
Follow up on Facebook and Instagram
You can email me with questions or comments at firstname.lastname@example.org
– Wendy Green is a Certified Life Coach, working with people going through the sometimes uncomfortable life transition from full-time work to “what’s next.” Find out more about Wendy’s 6-week "What's Next" workshop that begins on August 2. Let's chat.
– You can find Prime Time for Women at primetimeforwomen.org.
– Email Bernadette at email@example.com
Check out Lifeboost Coffee, one of our aff iliate marketing partners
This podcast uses the following third-party services for analysis:
Podsights - https://podsights.com/privacy
Podtrac - https://analytics.podtrac.com/privacy-policy-gdrp