Leadership isn’t just about power and authority over others. Genuine and effective leadership entails stewardship, humility, and true influence. Many people are consumed by the recognition that they let ego and selfishness get in the way of better leadership. However, being a steward means prioritizing other people and taking responsibility for your actions.
In today’s episode, our host Tim Winders shares his three most important aspects of effective leadership. He also talks about what mindset leaders should adapt, what actions they should take, and how they should act as true stewards of other people. Before you can lead others, being a leader starts with the self.
Tune in to this podcast to learn more about effective leadership!
3 Reasons to Listen:
- Learn more about the proper attitude and mindset that leaders should adapt to attract positivity and influence.
- Know which actions you should take as a leader, and how your words and thoughts influence these decisions.
- Find out how to stay accountable as a steward and what your priorities should be.
[05:46] The Definition of Leadership
- For Tim, leadership is being a steward over the people, places, and things God has gifted you with.
“We need to really remind ourselves that leadership, influence, stewardship, it really does begin with us.” - Click Here To Tweet This
[06:55] Attitude of a Leader in Their Effective Leadership
- Being a steward in every setting entails the right attitude and mindset.
- Attitude is a word that is overused in today’s time.
- Tim describes an analogy of the kind of things stinky and dirty trash would attract.
- A negative attitude unsurprisingly attracts bad people, whereas a positive attitude is uplifting and attracts positivity.
- Do you want a bunch of you around? If you don’t, you need to make some adjustments and change.
“One of the biggest threats to effective influence or leadership is pride and selfishness.” - Click Here To Tweet This
[10:27] Being Aware of Your Attitude
- One of the best ways to identify your attitude is to sincerely ask someone else close to you.
- Knowing your attitude is the first step toward change.
- Your attitude can easily change if you have the foundation to do it.
- Be aware of your purpose so that you can align your attitude with it.
[13:06] Actions of Leaders and Their Effective Leadership
- Reflect deeply on your thoughts as these are seeds from which your actions come.
- Likewise, you also need to think about your words, which should line up with your actions.
- We should watch the things that come out of our mouth before we even speak.
- Actions aren’t separate from your thoughts and words. They are a result of what we think and speak.
[17:52] A Conducive Environment
- As leaders, motivation is only a small part of what we can do.
- Environment has a much bigger impact in terms of motivating people.
- Most organizations typically create environments that repel people instead of attracting them.
[18:55] Strengths and Weaknesses
- Society dictates how we perceive our strengths and weaknesses, which relate to how we lead.
- An overused strength can become a weakness.
- If you have a strength that gives you energy, you have to embrace it.
[24:02] A Leader’s Decision-Making for Effective Leadership
- Leaders have to know how to make a firm decision.
- There are things that need you to make a fast decision and move on.
- Minimalism can help you reserve your decision-making for more important choices.
- Manage your time well because if you don’t, someone else will.
[26:45] Responsibility and Accountability in Effective Leadership
- It's disturbing to see fewer people in authority actually take responsibility for leading people.
- Self-awareness is important to understand what having influence entails.
- The biggest reason people don't have influence is pride and selfishness.
- Humility is an extremely underrated trait of a leader.
- Being a leader isn’t about you. It’s a gift from God.
“Don't beat yourself up over the past or tomorrow. Don't be thinking about the future so much that you really can't focus on today.” - Click Here To Tweet This
[31:36] On Being Intentional
- Being intentional means that you do things with extreme focus.
- You have to be more focused on today than yesterday. Don’t beat yourself up for the past.
- Don’t think about the future too much if you can’t even control the present.
- Leadership is developed in isolation, where you are only surrounded by your thoughts.
- Learn to manage yourself before you are in a position to influence others.
[35:38] Letting Victim Mentality Go
- Don’t get into the situation of blaming other people and being a victim.
- We alone are responsible for our own thoughts, attitude, and actions.
- The stench of victim mentality repels people.
“We alone are responsible for our attitude, our thoughts, and our actions because we know that victims allow the stench of blaming others to creep into their lives, and it repels people and therefore negatively influences others.” - Click Here To Tweet This
[36:45] On Essentialism and Effective Leadership
- Essentialism is the ability to determine what your priority is.
- Look at the things most important to you.
- Set priorities for yourself in every aspect of your life, be it work, relationships, friends, or even family.
- If you don’t establish your priorities yourself, someone else will.
[37:56] For Effective Leadership, Be a Giver, Not a Taker
- Our culture is structured in such a way that it encourages people to focus entirely on themselves.
- Being a steward entails getting out of yourself and giving attention to other people. Influence is about others and not you.
- Ego is a potent drug that permeates your soul and makes you self-centered.
- If you don’t humble yourself, you will be humbled somehow. The heart of a leader is really that of a servant.
- Establish trust with people, and don’t be a hypocrite. Always do the best you can to operate out of integrity.
"Ego starts creeping in, and it’s like yeast that just permeates all of your soul and your body, and it starts driving you. And ego is a drug that is as powerful as any drug out there. Do not become addicted to your pride or selfishness.” - Click Here To Tweet This
Enjoy This Podcast?
Seek Go Create is for leaders, entrepreneurs, ministers, and everyone seeking excellence, moving towards success, or creating something new.
If this episode taught you more about how God makes an empowering, positive change in your life, don't hesitate! Feel free to subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Love to give us 5 stars? If you do, we'd love a review from you. By doing this, you can help us reach more people who want to rest and spend time with God.
Do you want to help more people become better leaders in their everyday lives? A simple way is to share this episode or what you've learned today on social media.
Connect with the SeekGoCreate Network! For updates and more episodes, visit our website or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
To growing and becoming all we are created to be,