Nick Day is joined on The HR L&D Podcast sofa by Stephen Campbell who is a stand-up comedian, social entrepreneur, and owner of U Streat Comedy.
Stephen is developing new ways to make a social impact, which is through comedy! Laughing your way to a better Corporate Culture with Stephen Campbell, founder of U Streat Comedy talks to Nick Day about how laughter and comedy can make a social impact, improve and build culture and provide an alternative solution for effective team building, improving communication and breaking down barriers for better inclusion. One stupid joke at a time!
Stephen’s mission is to provide an alternative way of thinking through humour, an alternative business model through social enterprise, and an alternative way to fundraise through art.
Stephen also hopes to raise $25 million dollars for partner non-profits, he wants to create 250 self-sustaining jobs for comedians and artists, and inspire 50 new social enterprises to employ a business model that meshes passion, social, and financial incentive by 2025.
He intends to achieve this by inspiring others and partnering with corporate entities and nonprofit organizations.. U Streat was started by Stephen in a bar in Washington, DC in the U Streat Corridor. The company name is spelled that way because the original purpose was to use comedy to raise money and provide food to people who didn't have any. He also has a Podcast called Non-Prophets – link to his podcast included in the show notes!
In this “Laughing your way to a better Corporate Culture” episode with Stephen Campbell on The HR L&D Podcast, we also explore:
- What was it that made you think to put Comedy and HR together?
- Tell me about your company – as the founder of U Streat Comedy, why did you come up with that name and what is it that you are trying to achieve through comedy?
- How has laughter supported company culture and the challenging work of HR teams across the country during the pandemic?
- I hear your shows are tailored to the industry. How do you work with HR teams to decide what to cover and what employees will enjoy?
- You say on your website that to see true social change, we must see it in business. Can you tell me more about what you mean by this?
- What is the feedback you hear from attendees or the HR leaders you work with?
- Why is laughter so important for company culture?
- What is your purpose in doing comedy in companies?
- What are the challenges and stresses you face every day behind the laughter and joke-telling?
Links highlighted in this “The Importance of Laughter in Organisations” episode are included below:
Of course, if you are an HR or L&D Leader listening to this podcast and you have an HR-related vacancy that you would love some specialist human resources recruitment support with – please also get in touch with me or my fantastic and experienced team here at JGA Recruitment Group! We would love to help show you what a great HR recruitment experience feels like! You can reach out to me directly at email@example.com or give me a call – at 01727800377
Thanks for listening, folks – I look forward to bringing you the next episode of the HR L&D Podcast real soon!