You cannot force yourself to be something you are not.
On this week’s episode of So, How’s Therapy?, our guest is psychologist, coach, and expert in the field of therapy for men, Dr. Heather Stevenson.
There are certain boxes that our societies expects us to fit into, and these expectations change across cultures, generations, and genders. The world that we live in today holds men in particular to a standard of leadership, courage, and strength.
And that's exactly what we'll be discussing today.
What You’ll Learn
- Seeking out therapy: Men vs Women
- How societal gender norms affect men’s relationship with mental health
- How cultural/work stigma affects men’s relationship with mental health
- Same-gender vs different-gender patient-therapist relationships
- The most common reasons men seek out therapy
- Why it is important that men are allowed and encouraged to express their emotions
- What we can do to help men feel more comfortable seeking out therapy