Prayer: Our Connection with the Lord
We have been looking at the four conditions/requirements found in 2 Chronicles 7:14 to have God forgive our national sin and heal our land. The first of these conditions is for God’s people to humble themselves. And the second, just as difficult as the first, is to pray. But what kind of prayer satisfies the condition? And what is the content of that prayer? Can it be a quick prayer, or does it have to be long and intense? Can we pray with our eyes open, sitting down, all alone? Or do we have to agonize in prayer, on our knees, among a great throng of people? There are so many questions the text doesn’t answer. So, to find what we are looking for, we will look at the prayer life of Jesus and see what we can learn from Him.
I can’t think of a better teacher, can you?
What Can We Learn From the Prayer Life of Jesus
There is much we can learn about Jesus’ commitment to prayer. Much we can incorporate in our own lives. For example:
• Jesus got up early to pray, way before dawn (Mark 1:35).
• He separated Himself from distractions and went away from everyone to a secluded place to pray (Mark 1:35).
• Jesus often prayed to be able to know His Father’s will. Just like us (Mark 14:36).
• Often, Jesus spent the entire night in prayer (Luke 6:12).
• The focus of Jesus’ prayers, on many occasions, was the welfare of those He loved (John 7:15).
• Jesus agonized in prayer (Luke 22:44).
• And Jesus often prayed alone (Matthew 14:23).
• And finally, Jesus offered to His disciples then, and to us today, a lesson on how to pray. We find this in Matthew 6:9-15. We know it as the Lord’s Prayer, but it is much more than that. Infinitely more.
The Conditions and the Promises
Remember again the passage from 2 Chronicles 7:14 with both the conditions and promises:
“If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
So join with us as we learn about the prayer life of Jesus.
To download the slides to this message, click – HERE
Our Latest Posts:
462: Learning How to Truly Humble Yourself
461: Praying For Our Last Great Awakening
460: What Does it Mean to “Abide in Christ”?
459: Jesus Said, “Abide in Me, and I in You”
458: “I Am the True Vine”… But What Does That Mean?