270: When A Therapy Practice Is No Longer Your Calling, Melvin Varghese, PhD
Today’s solo episode is a show I’ve wanted to do, but it’s a vulnerable topic for me. This show highlights a moment of joy because it means I’m listening to my hopes and dreams and not my fears.
Our Featured Guest
Melvin Varghese, PhD
During this last year, I’ve made the decision not to be a therapist in private practice any longer but to dedicate 100% of my time to STC, serving our field and our colleagues in this way. I’ll give you a behind-the-scenes look at this decision, share these big and painful moments in the business journey, and provide encouragement for anyone who is sitting on a dream in fear of moving forward. I’m sharing my professional story, the reasons that led to this decision, and answer questions that you might have for me.
● My story of starting as a pre-med major to be a pediatrician before switching to psychology
● How I felt that psychology was my life’s calling
● How I was fascinated with therapists in clinical work in very exciting and unusual fields
● How I learned valuable lessons about multiple streams of income and seeing my acquired skills applicable in other domains outside the therapy room
● How I realized that having two businesses was in conflict with my core values about ease and flow in life
● Five realizations that led to my decision:
○ I learned that managing and growing just one business is really hard.
○ I have clear clarity on my life’s calling, which is serving through STC.
○ I want to keep my ideal schedule.
○ I want to create more margin in my life to enjoy the business journey.
○ I want to do more consulting and coaching.
● Questions you may have about my psychology license, my future, STC and the podcast, and regrets
Today’s Podcast Sponsor
Tidemark VA Services provides billing, credentialing, client scheduling, and social media management services to therapists in private practice.
I especially like that the owner, Brittany, is a group practice owner as well, so she knows the ins and outs of our field.
Be sure to use the code “STC2021” for a 15% discount for the first three months.
RESOURCES TO GUIDE YOUR BUSINESS JOURNEY
Disclosures: Please note that all opinions are my own and based on my personal experience. Sponsors are acknowledged. Some links in the description are affiliate links where if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I use these funds to continue to create helpful content to serve our field. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
MY FREE ONLINE WORKSHOPS (These Can Be Watched At A Date/Time That Works For You):
Online Course School (A course to create, sell, and grow a successful online course): COMING IN 2022 (please feel free to download the online guide course above and I can keep you updated as I'm trying to build this with ample input and care including a chance to work 1 on 1 with me!):
Since 2015, I've hosted a weekly podcast where I interview successful therapists in private practice and other business owners to help us grow our impact + income in and beyond the therapy room.
The podcast has been downloaded over 1.2 million times and is heard in over 140 countries.
You can find also it by searching “Selling The Couch” on any podcast app (eg: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify etc) or simply saying "Alexa, listen to Selling The Couch" on your Amazon device. =