281: A Slow, Intentional Transition To Full Time Private Practice
Staying true to our values is important in the work we do as clinicians. True business success for us is not based solely on the revenue we generate but on many other important aspects, such as working in a way that our genuine gifts and talents show forth in the meaningful and purposeful work that we do. Join us to learn more.
Our Featured Guest-Jennifer Kasey, PsyD
Jennifer Kasey is a good friend, mentor, and sister in the Christian faith. She and I met way back in 2009 in Nashville, and I’m thrilled that she’s joining us today. She’ll share her perspective on making a slow and intentional transition to full-time private practice. She started as a psychologist at Vanderbilt’s University Counseling Center and then transitioned to a large healthcare system with a small private practice on the side. Over this decade of transitional change, Jennifer has learned many valuable lessons. She will share the logical steps she took in her transition to full-time private practice, the hard moments in the journey, and what she has cherished most about the process.
● Why the first logical step toward private practice for Jennifer was a whiteboard with color-coded short-term and long-term goals
● How she took the next steps of applying for her LLC, creating her website, setting up her business account, downloading bookkeeping software, updating her Psychology Today profile, and more
● A breakdown of Jennifer’s items included on her whiteboard--and why she still looks at it every day in her office
● How Jennifer’s mindset has changed as she gained confidence and let go of fear
● How the hard moments in private practice showed her to learn from the NOs
● How Jennifer learned to stay true to herself, her goals, and values and not live in the “shoulds”
● How Jennifer finds contentment in being herself and staying with her “true North”
● Why you can’t follow after someone else’s definition of success
● What Jennifer cherishes most about building her practice slowly and intentionally: freedom, creativity, and a sense of empowerment
Today's Sponsor: Online Course School
I know that many of us want to launch a successful online course whether it's to share our message with a larger audience or to diversify our income beyond 1:1 work.
Speaking from personal experience, I also know that there are a ton of barriers to getting starting: the tech, the mental hurdles, being unsure of whether our course will make money, or even how to market and grow our online course.
Online Course School is a live 8-week cohort-based experience where you'll gather with other therapist course creators to create your online course. It includes teaching workshops Mel and the STC team, weekly assignments, and opportunities to work together to get things done.
By the end of our time together, you'll have your lessons and modules outlined, know what tech, software, and platform you need to record your online course, a working sales page, and have a concrete growth plan for your online course.
We'll be launching our first cohort in Sept 2021 with 6 members. If this sounds like something you'd love to be a part of please check out my free A to Z Online Course Guide.
The guide will help you learn from my mistakes over the past 6+ years of being an online course creator and lessons I've learned from moving the Healthcasters podcasting course from a $297 first sale to over 275 students and passing the $200k revenue mark in 2021/
Disclosures: Please note that all opinions are my own and based on my personal experience. Sponsors are acknowledged. Some links in the description are affiliate links where if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I use these funds to continue to create helpful content to serve our field. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
MY FREE ONLINE WORKSHOPS (These Can Be Watched At A Date/Time That Works For You):
💻 Online Course School (A course to create, sell, and grow a successful online course): COMING IN 2022 (please feel free to download the online guide course above and I can keep you updated as I'm trying to build this with ample input and care including a chance to work 1 on 1 with me!):
Since 2015, I've hosted a weekly podcast where I interview successful therapists in private practice and other business owners to help us grow our impact + income in and beyond the therapy room.
The podcast has been downloaded over 1.2 million times and is heard in over 140 countries.
You can find also it by searching “Selling The Couch” on any podcast app (eg: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify etc) or simply saying "Alexa, listen to Selling The Couch" on your Amazon device. =