Scamming is increasingly becoming more creative and more sophisticated than ever before. How then do you stay informed and protected from any possible scam?
Even as you actively plan your retirement, it is important you stay informed and protected from scammers/fraudsters that can cause major damage to your retirement investment.
In this episode of the Secure Your Retirement podcast, we talk about scamming in 2021 and share 4 tips on how you can protect yourself from scammers. We also cover a few ways you can take action to ensure you’re back to safety if a scam/fraud happens to you.
In this episode, find out:
· How scamming is getting creative and using names of big companies that you think you can trust.
· Understand that the IRS will never call you, only write you.
· Statistics on scam incidents in 2020/21 and the impact it has had.
· How the pandemic opened more creative ways to get scammed.
· Never click on a link in an email or text unless you’re expecting it.
· Access your account through the business’s website or call them first before responding to a suspicious email.
· Stop and take a minute if you get a call asking for financial information.
· Have your credit cards and online transactions monitored for fraud alerts.
· Immediately close or put a hold on your bank accounts from retailers you use.
· Notify all three credit reporting agencies and put a freeze on your credit.
· Change your password on all your accounts to stop the scammers.
· Be vigilant and use your past scamming incidents as a lesson to move forward better.
· Contact the authorities to get to the bottom of the issue.
· “One of the reasons scammers are being so successful is that people are ashamed they’re actually being scammed.”- Radon Stancil
· “Unfortunately, this is the world that we live in, the scammers are getting very creative, and it happens every single day.”- Murs Tariq
If you are in or nearing retirement and you want to gain clarity on what questions you should be asking, learn what the biggest retirement myths are, and identify what you can do to achieve peace of mind for your retirement, get started today by requesting our complimentary video course, Four Steps to Secure Your Retirement!