Today’s topic is a popular one that affects many people. I’m not ashamed to say that I have struggled with mental health and depression. It’s especially important to know how to balance mental health and the challenges of entrepreneurship. Join us for this incredibly open and honest conversation.
Our Featured Guest-Rebekah Shackney, LCSW
Rebekah Shackney has struggled with depression, which runs on both sides of her family. She’s here to share her story and how her life and business have been impacted. She will help guide us and share what she has learned in building a successful practice around therapy and DBT groups. If you hear those voices of doubt and fear in your head, join us to hear Rebekah’s helpful insight about the delicate dance of managing mental health and the demands of entrepreneurship.
● How Rebekah’s struggle with genetic depression began
● Why one of the worst parts of depression is believing the lies that depression tells you
● How motherhood intensified depression for Rebekah as she experienced postpartum depression as she tried to balance work and parenthood
● How Rebekah started out in private practice but didn’t feel successful or “good enough”
● How she was paralyzed by envy of others and their success
● How she found the energy and determination to make changes and adjustments
● Why Rebekah started a podcast, A Therapist Takes Her Own Advice
● How she changed her money mindset to squelch the voices of doubt and fear
● Techniques that Rebekah has used to confront fear and get through it
● How Rebekah can show up and do what she wants to do in life to serve and help others
● How DBT can help people take ownership, accept their situation, and take steps to make changes
● Rebekah’s #1 piece of advice to clinicians: “Pay for the supervision you need and deserve.”
Today's Sponsor: Online Course School
I know that many of us want to launch a successful online course, whether it's to share our message with a larger audience or to diversify our income beyond 1:1 work.
Speaking from personal experience, I also know that there are a ton of barriers to getting started: the tech, the mental hurdles, being unsure of whether our course will make money, or even how to market and grow our online course.
Online Course School is a live 8-week cohort-based experience where you'll gather with other therapist course creators to create your online course. It includes teaching workshops from Mel and the STC team, weekly assignments, and opportunities to work together to get things done.
By the end of our time together, you'll have your lessons and modules outlined, know what tech, software, and platform you need to record your online course, a working sales page, and have a concrete growth plan for your online course.
We'll be launching our first cohort in Sept 2021 with six members. If this sounds like something you'd love to be a part of, please check out my free A to Z Online Course Guide.
The guide will help you learn from my mistakes over the past 6+ years of being an online course creator and lessons I've learned from moving the Healthcasters podcasting course from a $297 first sale to over 275 students and passing the $200k revenue mark in 2021.
RESOURCES TO GUIDE YOUR BUSINESS JOURNEY
Disclosures: Please note that all opinions are my own and based on my personal experience. Sponsors are acknowledged. Some links in the description are affiliate links where if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I use these funds to continue to create helpful content to serve our field. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
MY FREE ONLINE WORKSHOPS (These Can Be Watched At A Date/Time That Works For You):
💻 Online Course School (A course to create, sell, and grow a successful online course): COMING IN 2022 (please feel free to download the online guide course above and I can keep you updated as I'm trying to build this with ample input and care including a chance to work 1 on 1 with me!):
Since 2015, I've hosted a weekly podcast where I interview successful therapists in private practice and other business owners to help us grow our impact + income in and beyond the therapy room.
The podcast has been downloaded over 1.2 million times and is heard in over 140 countries.
You can find also it by searching “Selling The Couch” on any podcast app (eg: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify etc) or simply saying "Alexa, listen to Selling The Couch" on your Amazon device. =