This episode was live on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and I started it by reading a portion of the "I have a Dream" speech. Which led to my first question.
"Is hope and positivity the same thing, and how important are they to our mental health as we age?"
Dr. Joe Casciani spent 40 years as a psychologist and manager of mental health practices specializing in the care of older adults. He now has a podcast, Living to 100 and a website called Livingto100.club where he shares inspiration and resources to help adults as we move into our retirement years.
Positivity and mindset highlights:
- Having a positive attitude helps people recovering from an illness or accident.
- We do better when we look for success and look for improvement.
- In other words, you see what you look for.
- A positive mindset can help you stay healthy and live longer.
- Some personality styles tend to be more resilient.
- Resilience can be learned, it may be an untapped skill.
- What can you do when life gets hard? Try to find at least one good thing.
Aging is about adapting to change and staying engaged. We do this by recognizing what we can and what we cannot control.
Books mentioned in this episode:
Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Joe Dispenza
Keep it Moving: Lessons for the Rest of Your Life by Twyla Tharpe
Live Long Die Short by Roger Landry
- Be ready to start new chapters. You don't have to let yesterday define who you are today.
- Look for what's right; become the change you want to be.
Thanks so much for listening.
Subscribe on Apple Podcast, Stitcher , Google Podcast. or Spotify
Follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram
You can email me with questions or comments at email@example.com
Wendy Green is a Certified Life Coach, working with people going through the
sometimes uncomfortable life transition from full-time work to “what’s next.”
Find out more about Wendy’s 6-week “What’s Next Transition” Coaching workshop
You can find Dr. Joe Casciani at firstname.lastname@example.org or
go to his website livingto100.club
Support our sponsor: roadscholar.org/heyboomer
This podcast uses the following third-party services for analysis:
Podsights - https://podsights.com/privacy
Podtrac - https://analytics.podtrac.com/privacy-policy-gdrp