It’s easy to discuss culture and workplace motivation, everyone understands people want to work in a positive environment. But did you ever stop to think about what truly motivates people? Guess what, it is unique to each person. Do you understand the tangible goals for each individual in your business based on what motivates them personally? Spoiler alert, money isn’t the main motivator for people.
Watch Episode on YouTube
Brian Bates, Eagle Automotive, Based in Littleton, CO, MSO 4 shops
Michael Smith, Managing Partner, Herzberg Smith and Co
Casey McGowan, Casey’s Independent, Vancouver, WA
Key Talking Points
- Not just about the pay- ask during the interview, what is your end goal? What is their vision? Is it aligned with your vision?
- Setting achievable goals & staying focused on the results- baby step goals, don’t dangle a carrot and keep moving it
- People leave jobs because of the environment
- Hungry, humble, and smart- hunger is either innate or note
- Career pathing with people on your team is highly motivational and a good way for them to stay centered
- Humans are only truly motivated intrinsically (from within). Motivation- defined as the internal energy to make a change or achieve a goal, it does not come from external factors, influences or forces. What are the needs of the individual? And what motivates them?
- 3 stages everyone innately yearns for physical needs, psychological (belonging to the group, team environment, self-esteem), self-fulfillment (finding meaning in what you do). Salary only covers physical needs.
- These truths begin to reveal the reasons why incentive pay plans, performance bonuses, perks, increased status, etc. are only marginally-effective human influencers. Bonus programs don’t change behaviors.
- Apprentice, journeyman, master- each needs different goals
- Discovering motivation- “How are you? How are we? How am I?”
- “The Power of the Other” 4 corners of communication- disconnected, false sense, toxic level, celebrate victories/challenge you/console/ask how they can help.
Connect with the show:
Aftermarket Radio Network
Subscribe on YouTube
Visit us on the Web
Follow on Facebook
Become an Insider
Buy me a coffee
Check out today's partners:
More Time. More Profit. Shop-Ware Shop Management getshopware.com
See how Broadly can help YOU grow your auto shop. getbroadly.com/chat