Dr. Ben Bikman is a researcher and professor specializing in metabolic function, insulin resistance, and the drivers of metabolic disorders. He has a PhD in bioenergetics, he did a postdoctoral fellowship with the Duke National University of Singapore in metabolic disorders, and he’s currently exploring the contrasting roles of insulin and ketones as key drivers of metabolic function. Today, we talk about the rise of insulin resistance and the key drivers behind it, which is the hidden epidemic at the root of his book, “Why We Get Sick.”
You will learn about...
- What insulin is and why it’s produced
- The healthy ranges of insulin
- Why leptin is essential for fertility and the cause of PCOS
- When people become insulin resistant and what happens when you cross that line
- How your body uses ketones as fuel
- The role of cholesterol when it comes to insulin resistance
Connect with Kelly:
Be Well By Kelly is a production of Crate Media
Mentioned in this episode:
Be Well Protein Powder
Grass-fed protein powder with organic monkfruit extract, organic cacao & vanilla, and NOTHING else. Get $5 off your order at bewellbykelly.com with promo code 'PODCAST5'.