Tom & Colin introduce the first episode of Season 1's education episodes.
This episode is designed to be referred to when you (the listener!) have a need to 'gen up' on 3D modeling. Specifically related to the defence industry.
3D Modeling Topics Covered:
1. Scoping the work/Design
A careful process that can take several discussions with a new client. Setting expectations; defining deliverables. Most projects succeed or fail in the planning phase, and it happens all the time (e.g., recent M4A1 model).
a. Technical Specifications
- Target engine
- File format requirements
- Shader inputs
- PBR (metal/rough)
- Special textures
- a. Thermal
- Animation requirements
- Special functionality requirements
- Geo LOD
- Shadow stencil LOD
- Dimensional precision requirements
- Texel density
- Naming conventions
- Stylistic requirements (photorealism, stylized, brand new or grungy?)
b. Reference Gathering
- Photo references
- Technical drawings/blueprints
- 3D scans
- Measurement data
The beginning of the “real work”. There are many different pipelines.
b. Low Poly
- UV Map
- Overlapping vs non-overlapping UVs, number of UVs.
- UDIMs -an automatic UV offset system that assigns an image onto a specific UV tile
- Texture baking
- Normal (world space, global space) , Y-/+ (OpenGL vs DirectX), Mikk-T vs not
- Texture authoring
- 3D authoring has become standard
- Gloss/Rough the most important for overall “feel” of materials
- Auto-LODs (there are some limitations)
- Do one or two by hand, the rest automatically
Episode Sponsor: Conducttr
Conducttr is a hybrid warfare/crisis simulation platform that supports a wide range of realistic command post and field exercises. Its synthetic Internet delivers a realistic virtual information environment ideal for exercising in information operations, media operations, social media, OSINT, cyber, CIMIC, and foreign affairs as well homeland security, counter-terrorism and humanitarian disaster relief.
Conducttr can be used solo or with operational systems (as a “digital wrap”) during live exercises that can last from an hour to several weeks. Available on cloud, on premises with VMware and deployable on laptop as needed.