Sign up for Data Mesh Understanding's free roundtable and introduction programs here: https://landing.datameshunderstanding.com/
Sponsored by NextData, Zhamak's company that is helping ease data product creation.
For more great content from Zhamak, check out her book on data mesh, a book she collaborated on, her LinkedIn, and her Twitter.
- We need to be better about getting on the same page regarding some semantics in data mesh. Otherwise, it's hard to work together internally and across organizations to move the industry forward.
- There are so many things we've learned about how to break systems into smaller components on the services side, about preventing tight coupling but the data world has yet to apply those learnings. We're heading down some paths that we don't need to if we follow past learnings.
- As an example of above, early data contract approaches are too tightly coupled around schema. We need to be a little less rigid there but how feels to be determined.
- Postel's Law: "Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others." Learn it and think about how to apply it to data so we create more resiliency across our internal data ecosystems. Right now, there isn't much out there on the how.
- Resiliency at scale is possible on the operational plane, why not the data plane? We need to be "very mindful and not naïve" around how we integrate in the data world to not make the same mistakes we made on the services side.
Postel's Law: https://ardalis.com/postels-law-robustness-principle/
Semantic Diffusion article Zhamak mentioned: https://www.martinfowler.com/bliki/SemanticDiffusion.html
Please Rate and Review us on your podcast app of choice!
If you want to be a guest or give feedback (suggestions for topics, comments, etc.), please see here
Data Mesh Radio episode list and links to all available episode transcripts here.
Provided as a free resource by Data Mesh Understanding / Scott Hirleman. Get in touch with Scott on LinkedIn if you want to chat data mesh.
If you want to learn more and/or join the Data Mesh Learning Community, see here: https://datameshlearning.com/community/
All music used this episode was found on PixaBay and was created by (including slight edits by Scott Hirleman): Lesfm, MondayHopes, SergeQuadrado, ItsWatR, Lexin_Music, and/or nevesf