Running Performance: The Importance of Recovery
Recovery from training is now viewed as being as important to running performance as training itself. Recovery is recognised as the time period between the end of one bout of training and the subsequent return to resting or recovered state...BUT....factors including: nutrition, hydration and sleep could determine how efficiently the body "resets" following exercise, therefore these factors would be implicated in how long the recovery period would need to be.
So, in this episode we delve into WHY optimal recovery is important and outline some nutritional and lifestyle strategies to put in place that may help YOU achieve efficient recovery from training.
Defining RECOVERY from training as ……the time period between the end of a bout of exercise and the subsequent return to a resting or recovered state.
Outlining the reasons WHY adequate recovery from training is recommended including:
Also: introducing the seven Rs to Recovery: Rest Regeneration Resynthesis, Reduction (of inflammation), Restoration, Refuelling and Rehydration.
Highlighting the TWO recognised approaches to recovery:
Delving into some nutritional strategies to support optimal recovery from training including:
Introducing some lifestyle strategies to support optimal recovery from training including:
1) Recovery is: “….the time period between the end of a bout of exercise and the subsequent return to a resting or recovered state. The time it takes to recover will vary between individuals
2) Positive training adaptations is one of the most important effects obtained through optimal recovery, ultimately leading to enhanced running performance
3) Many symptoms experienced post-exercise (for example: DOMS and fatigue) are a natural part of the recovery process and are, as a result, important contributors to training adaptation, therefore sufficient recovery is required for these reactions to occur and then “reset”
4) There are two recognised approaches to recovery: Active recovery and Passive recovery, both of which would be important to include in a training programme
5) There are many nutritional strategies that have been shown to support optimal recovery from training including:
6) There are several lifestyle/training approaches that could help enhance recovery including:
Meglio - for equipment to support recovery.
Discount Code: RHH10 to receive 10% discount on any purchase
The suggestions we make during this episode are for guidance and
advice only, and are not a substitute for medical advice or treatment.
If you have any concerns regarding your health, please contact
your healthcare professional for advice as soon as possible.
Aileen Smith and Karen Campbell host RUNNERS HEALTH HUB. A place for like-minded female runners who are looking for simple ways to support running performance, energy, endurance, and general great health.
if this is your first time your show and you’d like to know more about us and She Runs Eats Performs please check out our TRAILER.
If you're ready to make learn more about how you may introduce easy nutrition into your running and training plan join our Easy Nutrition For Healthy Runners Online Programme for short videos, recipes, downloads and LIVE training and Q&A.
As a THANK YOU to you as one of our valued listeners, we have a special offer for you use COUPON CODE RACE to get £200 discount off the full price which brings the price to £97.
If you’d like help from Karen and Aileen to design a personalised sports nutrition plan for your running - please contact us at email@example.com
Aileen and Karen