This session shares the Franklin, MA School Committee meeting held on Tuesday, February 14, 2023. The meeting was conducted in the Council Chambers with four members present and three members absent (Callaghan, Whitmore, McNeill). The meeting entered Executive Session and did not return to open meeting about 9:30 PM
School Committee Chair Denise Spencer opens the meeting at 7:01 PM.
Key items on the agenda
- JFK Highlights – Dr. Connolly, Mr. Haynes - presentation included a video, 1 or 2 positions are still open at the school, not getting good candidates; use of ‘power blocks’ in their schedule to provide the additional resources required for students so their help doesn’t cause a miss on introduction of new content
- Belize Presentation – Ms. Balliro & Ms. Quigley - presented their overview of a proposed STEM based experiential trip to Belize during Feb break in 2024. Would be targeted for students with specific class experience, incorporating Portrait of a Graduate attributes as benefits of the trip. Cost and accessibility concerns addressed
- Advisory Update – MS Advisors & Principals -
- EduSpeak Update – Supt Giguere & Dr Rogers - (effectively will be a glossary document posted to the schools page with the acronyms used frequently - link added below)
- The Committee did enter Executive Session not to return to open meeting
The show notes contain a link to the full agenda and to my notes & photos captured via Twitter during the meeting.
The recording runs about 2 hours and 26 minutes, so let’s listen to the Franklin School Committee on February 14, 2023.
School Committee page -> https://www.franklinps.net/district/school-committee
Inclement weather page -> https://www.franklinps.net/sites/g/files/vyhlif4431/f/uploads/weather_2022_2.pdf
A. JFK Highlights – Dr. Connolly, Mr. Haynes - photos album ->
B. Belize Presentation – Ms. Balliro & Ms. Quigley - photos album ->
C. Advisory Update – MS Advisors & Principals - photos album ->
D. EduSpeak Update – Supt Giguere & Dr Rogers - (effectively will be a glossary document posted to the schools page with the acronyms used frequently, to be expanded as more suggestions on terms used are added) https://www.franklinps.net/district/superintendent/pages/eduspeak-glossary-educational-terms-acronyms
Agenda doc with remote participation info ->
Meeting packet folder -> (the documents not released prior to the meeting are supposed to be posted here on Wednesday, as we got ot press Friday morning, they are not yet available)
Franklin TV video is available -> https://www.youtube.com/live/pzZUAhR1_x0?feature=share
My full set of notes in one PDF doc -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jI59o9T1hhMR_RMByloONyLV2EwL9cCu/view?usp=share_link
We are now producing this in collaboration with Franklin.TV and Franklin Public Radio (wfpr.fm) or 102.9 on the Franklin area radio dial.
This podcast is my public service effort for Franklin but we can't do it alone. We can always use your help.
How can you help?
- If you can use the information that you find here, please tell your friends and neighbors
- If you don't like something here, please let me know
Through this feedback loop we can continue to make improvements. I thank you for listening.
For additional information, please visit Franklinmatters.org/
If you have questions or comments you can reach me directly at shersteve @ gmail dot com
The music for the intro and exit was provided by Michael Clark and the group "East of Shirley". The piece is titled "Ernesto, manana" c. Michael Clark & Tintype Tunes, 2008 and used with their permission.
I hope you enjoy!
You can also subscribe and listen to Franklin Matters audio on iTunes or your favorite podcast app; search in "podcasts" for "Franklin Matters"