In this Next Normal podcast episode, Elevate’s Chairman and CEO, Liam Brown, talks with Monica Risam, Group General Counsel and Company Secretary of Lombard International, a global leader in wealth structuring solutions.
Monica describes her career journey, the mentorship she received, and the leadership approach she embraced in this thoughtful conversation. Balancing kindness with getting things done - and a quote from Maya Angelou - this 25-minute episode is a must-listen for the lawyer transitioning to a General Counsel or Associate General Counsel role.
“People will forget what you did and what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
Episode highlights include:
1. [01:20] – Monica makes a move - from Weil Gotshal to GE Capital
2. [06:13] – To be successful in-house, be interested, excited, and focused on the business
3. [08:54] - Making decisions and offering judgments as a GC, you need to understand the business problem
4. [11:10] – To listen and incorporate others' viewpoints, we need to slow down…
5. [16:45] - Getting things done - is a combination of floating above and diving deep – communication is key
6. [19:53] - 'People will forget what you did… they will never forget how you made them feel.'