Greg Lane has proved over many years in Japan that it’s possible for a foreign company to be successful. Despite the challenges of Covid Tokyo Cheapo and Japan Cheapo are still serving the local community and tourists visiting Japan wanting to find good value. Greg shares his insider knowledge of how to tackle the bureaucracy of Japan like water off a duck’s back, and how he actually doesn’t mind the paperwork, as well as his golden jandals of where Kiwi businesses could find opportunities.
If you enjoyed this episode and it inspired you in some way, we’d love to hear about it and know what your biggest takeaway was. Head over to Apple Podcasts to leave a review and we’d love it if you would come and say hi (or Kia Ora or Konnichi Wa!) over on @jandalsinjapan on Instagram.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- How Greg came to be in Japan and co-founded a website that helps people get good value from goods and services in Japan
- How Japan is not as expensive as you might think
- The benefits of working with the bureaucracy in Japan and support systems available for small and medium sized businesses
- The opportunities there are for Kiwi businesses as tourism starts to open up in Japan again
- Greg’s favourite word! Hint: it starts with “J”.
Originally from Hamilton/Kirikiriroa, Greg has been in Japan since 2000. After teaching English, working as a salaryman, starting a company, and winding up a company, Greg started Japan travel guide tokyocheapo.com with co-founder Chris Kirkland in 2012. The business was perfectly timed to ride the post-2011 Japan tourism boom, and since March 2020, has been riding out the bust.
Connect with Greg
Connect with Jayne and Catherine
Linked In: https://www.linkedin.com/company/jandals-in-japan-podcast/