Attack on Opinion
Should Ymir have left with Reiner and Bertholdt?
You are listening to Attack On Opinion with your hosts Jenny and Amy.
In this episode of Attack on Opinion we discuss: Ymir’s relationship with Historia, Reiner, and Bertholdt, and whether or not it was the right decision for her to leave the scouts.
Segment 1: Context of the Anime
Attack on Titan is a Japanese manga series set in a world where humanity is forced to live in cities surrounded by three enormous walls that protect them from gigantic man-eating humanoids called Titans. The story follows Eren Yeager, who vows to exterminate the Titans after they bring about the destruction of his hometown and the death of his mother.
Ymir is technically around 100 hundred years old because she was turned into a titan by Marleyan soldiers after the empire of Eldyia lost its power. This was because she represented (they believed she was the reincarnation) of Ymir, the founder of the titans. Therefore, some Eldyians worshiped her to seek out peace. Little did they know, she was simply an orphan that was used to gather money from the people that prayed to her. When the Public Security Authorities found out about this cult, the man who named Ymir placed all the blame on Ymir. Ymir didn’t fight back because she felt as if she did share responsibility for deceiving the people who worshiped her, so she, along many other members, were stoned and turned into pure titans.
- Ymir has the Jaw Titan power, which was from eating one of Reiner’s friends who possessed a titan power.
- Ymir and Historia fell in love with each other
- Reiner has a crush on Historia
- Ymir feels guilty about keeping her powers secret and for eating Porco’s brother, aka Reiner’s friend. She also felt indebted to them because their arrival to Eldyia technically saved her life.
- They kill Ymir
Segment 2: Audience Opinions
Many people deny the clear intimate relationship between Ymir and Historia because they deny the Lesbian representation, which may influence their opinion on how important it was for Ymir to be sent away.
- Some people even debate that Historia is straight, which is clearly wrong. But others say that she’s bisexual, which could have some essence to it but she’s only shown interest in Ymir in the show.
- She does get pregnant but many people say it’s because she had the responsibility to do so, not out of her own will.
- Majority of people believe it was the right decision to leave and that there’d be no story without this
Segment 3: Our opinions
We liked Ymir and Historia's relationship
- It was essential to have Reiner and Bertholdt return but we wish there was another way
- Wish she didn’t die
- Was a great way to wrap up her end
Connect with us on Social Media