Artwork for podcast Open Your Eyes with McKay Christensen
S04E10 - People Aren’t Better Than You, They Just Know How
Episode 1024th June 2024 • Open Your Eyes with McKay Christensen • McKay Christensen
00:00:00 00:27:35

Share Episode

Shownotes

In this week’s episode, McKay undertakes an examination of the power of gathering knowledge and ‘know-how’ by exploring the captivating journeys of several extraordinary individuals. Reviewing their unique approaches to problem-solving and relentless pursuit of knowledge, he brings to vivid life the fact that acquiring understanding of the ‘how’ can lead to remarkable achievements and innovations.

McKay highlights Tu Youyou’s research on Chinese herbal medicine that led to artemisinin, a key malaria treatment with a global impact, as well as John Snow's work during the 19th-century cholera outbreak, emphasizing meticulous data collection. The episode also covers Joshua Bell's metro station experiment, illustrating that recognizing excellence requires understanding the craft. Additionally, McKay reflects on Russell M. Nelson's heart surgery contributions, Bob Mankoff's journey to becoming a celebrated cartoonist, and Hedy Lamarr's frequency-hopping technology. Through these stories and his own sage observations, McKay demonstrates that greatness truly is rooted in know-how, inspiring us all to pursue mastery within our own lives.

Episode Highlights:

  • The importance of "know-how"
  • Tu Youyou’s discovery
  • John Snow's cholera investigation
  • Bob Mankoff and Joshua Bell’s examples of mastery and persistence
  • Hedy Lamarr's example of interdisciplinary innovation
  • Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000-hour rule, The Beatles, and the role of practice
  • Examples from real life of choosing an area to master and seeking knowledge
  • Being inspired by others’ achievements

Quotes:

"Youyou's discovery of artemisinin has saved millions of lives around the world."

"Great things are done by people who know how."

"Snow's intervention in removing the Broad Street pump handle effectively stopped the outbreak."

"In the middle of gaining more know-how, inspiration often comes."

"President Nelson's work in heart surgery was groundbreaking and life-saving."

“Remember, what you do duplicates.”

"Hedy Lamarr's frequency-hopping technology laid the groundwork for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth."

“Decide what you will dive into, find your topic for getting more know-how, follow the masters, ask questions, and stay patient and learning.” 

Links:

https://www.mckaychristensen.org/

Links

Chapters

Video

More from YouTube

More Episodes
10. S04E10 - People Aren’t Better Than You, They Just Know How
00:27:35
9. S04E09 - 1% Chance, 99% Faith
00:27:29
8. S04E08 - How Will You Measure Your Life?
00:28:45
7. S04E07 - Letting Go
00:26:56
6. S4E06 - It’s Halftime
00:28:11
5. S4E05 - The View From a Life Half Over
00:29:58
4. S4E04 - The Race for Second Place
00:26:23
3. S4E03 - 7 Ways to be a Better Man
00:28:48
2. S4E02 - Bridges We Build
00:27:00
1. S4E01 - Find Your Voice
00:29:54
52. S3E52 - Your Soul Purpose
00:28:18
51. S3E51 - Words Create Worlds
00:29:25
50. S3E50 - Out of the Shallows
00:30:20
49. S3E49 - You Have a Choice
00:29:06
48. S3E48 - There's a Lot Right With You
00:30:31
47. S3E47 - Your Belief Window
00:28:23
46. S3E46 - Maybe You Should Talk to Someone
00:28:59
45. S3E45 - Keep your Belief
00:29:23
44. S3E44 - Are You Open?
00:30:55
43. S3E43 - Your Opportunity
00:30:54
42. S3E42 - The Unexpected Life
00:29:24
41. S3E41 - A New Mindset
00:30:31
40. S3E40 - A Breakthrough is Coming
00:29:52
39. S3E39 - The Power of One More
00:30:25
38. S3E38 - The Greatest Thing You Will Ever Do
00:26:24
37. S3E37 - Think Again
00:29:51
36. S3E36 - Facing the Wave
00:29:27
35. S3E35 - Do It Afraid
00:29:59
34. S3E34 - What is a Leader? (Pt. 2)
00:30:50
33. S3E33 - What is a Leader?
00:28:45
32. S3E31 - Your Destiny Calls
00:30:45
31. Stand in Honor
00:29:17
30. S3E30 - Can You See What’s Happening?
00:28:16
29. S3E29 - A Life Worth Living
00:29:13
28. S3E28 - What’s Your Deal?
00:30:07
27. S3E27 - The Best Advice Ever Given (Part II)
00:29:38
26. S3E26 - The Best Advice Ever Given
00:30:07
25. S3E25 - Do It Anyway
00:31:01
24. S3E24 - Nothing Great is Easy
00:30:47
23. S3E23 - Embrace the Unexpected
00:29:48
22. S3E22 - Today is a Gift
00:29:41
21. S3E21 - It's Your Turn
00:30:15
20. S3E20 - Your Open Door
00:27:41
19. S3E19 - Your Tide is Turning
00:30:22
18. S3E18 - The Butterfly Effect
00:29:12
17. S3E17 - Who Are You Following?
00:32:18
16. S3E16 - How You Win
00:27:40
15. S3E15 - Thrive Under Pressure
00:29:57
14. S3E14 - Without A Doubt
00:31:58
13. S3E13 - Never Give Up
00:30:44
12. S3E12 - Trust The Process
00:30:19
11. S3E11 - A Time to Remember
00:28:31
10. S3E10 - Your Destiny
00:32:50
9. S3E09 - While You Wait
00:29:39
8. S3E08 - Take Control
00:31:05
7. S3E07 - A Matter of Courage
00:30:58
6. S3E06 - The Rising Tide
00:28:35
5. S3E05 - Great “Mess” to Greatness
00:32:22
4. S3E04 - You Can Begin Again
00:30:22
3. S3E03 - Be An Influencer
00:31:41
2. S3E02 - Peaks and Valleys
00:28:21
1. S3E01 - One Word That Can Change Your Life
00:29:41
52. S2E52 - The Road Ahead
00:29:34
51. S2E51 - The Best Within You
00:31:37
50. S2E50 - You Got This
00:31:51
49. S2E49 - Are You Inspirable?
00:28:37
48. S2E48 - Finding Your True Worth
00:29:46
47. S2E47 - Are You a Bucket Filler?
00:29:29
46. S2E46 - Are You Expecting?
00:30:00
45. S2E45 - Step Up To Change
00:30:05
44. S2E44 - Do You Know?
00:27:12
43. S2E43 - Do You Talk Funny?
00:29:07
42. S2E42 - What's Your Purpose?
00:29:44
41. S2E41 - Isn't It Time?
00:30:58
40. S2E40 - Get Your Life Back
00:30:32
39. S2E39 - It's Your Ship
00:31:35
38. S2E38 - What Are You Looking For?
00:29:45
37. S2E37 - Enjoy the Ride
00:28:52
36. S2E36 - The Innovation of You
00:30:25
35. S2E35 - The Positive Approach
00:30:59
34. S2E34 - Your Unfair Advantage
00:30:38
33. S2E33 - Are You All In?
00:30:48
32. S2E32 - It is Worth the Wrestle
00:31:49
31. S2E31 - You Always Have a Choice
00:32:29
30. S2E30 - Flip the Script
00:30:56
29. S2E29 - Remember Who You Are
00:30:12
28. S2E28 - As You Wish
00:29:48
27. S2E27 - What's Your Future Worth?
00:28:02
26. S2E26 - The Best In You
00:27:28
25. S2E25 - Fall Seven, Rise Eight
00:31:59
24. S2E24 - It’s Worth The Risk
00:30:48
23. S2E23 - Chief Inspiration Officer
00:30:25
22. S2E22 - Be Constructive
00:31:36
21. S2E21 - The Dichotomy of Greatness
00:29:19
20. S2E20 - Your Amazing Grace
00:30:52
19. S2E19 - How You Start is Not How You’ll Finish
00:32:49
18. S2E18 - Can You Decide?
00:30:21
17. S2E17 - Build Your Brand
00:32:30
16. S2E16 - Life’s Inevitable Flops
00:30:15
15. S2E15 - Which Way Are You Leaning?
00:32:11
14. S2E14 - The Jaws of Life
00:30:17
13. S2E13 - Just Show Up
00:30:07
12. S2E12 - Light Your Life
00:32:14
11. S2E11 - The Culture Effect
00:30:53
10. S2E10 - What Makes You Happy?
00:30:07
9. S2E9 - Speak So People Listen
00:29:49
8. S2E8 - The Best Speech of Your Life
00:33:19
7. S2E7 - How to Treat a Tick
00:33:07
6. S2E6 - The Rest of Your Story
00:30:20
5. S2E5 - Keep Your Faith
00:30:29
4. S2E4 - Looking for a Miracle
00:30:29
3. S2E3 - Discover Real Wealth
00:31:31
2. S2E2 - It’s No Fun Being Poor
00:30:42
1. S2E1 - Your Money Mindset
00:30:11
52. S1E52 - Are You Entitled?
00:33:01
51. S1E51 - It’s Time to Move
00:27:18
50. S1E50 - Stay In Your Lane
00:33:54
49. S1E49 - A Worthy Goal
00:29:34
48. S1E48 - How's Your Energy?
00:33:01
47. S1E47 - More Than Enough
00:29:50
46. S1E46 - Your Time Will Come
00:29:31
45. S1E45 - Finish Your Race
00:29:05
44. S1E44 - Reinvent Your Life
00:30:14
43. S1E43 - Why You’re Attractive
00:31:58
42. S1E42 - The Proximity Principle
00:32:29
41. S1E41 - Get Connected
00:31:01
40. S1E40 - You’ve Been Prepared
00:32:27
39. S1E39 - Live Above The Line
00:32:01
38. S1E38 - Focus on the Big Rocks First
00:32:25
37. S1E37 - Your Strategy for Life (Part II)
00:32:50
36. S1E36 - Your Strategy for Life (Part I)
00:30:56
35. S1E35 - The Gift of Choice
00:31:56
34. S1E34 - Bridging the Gap
00:33:02
33. S1E33 - The Propensity to Hope
00:30:07
32. S1E32 - The Least You Can Do
00:31:07
31. S1E31 - A Noble Responsibility
00:33:02
30. S1E30 - Do What Is Great While It Is Small
00:32:48
29. S1E29 - A Perfectly Imperfect Life
00:31:45
28. S1E28 - The Start of Something Good
00:32:11
27. S1E27 - You Gotta Have Heart
00:30:28
26. S1E26 - Clarity for Life
00:31:55
25. S1E25 - On The Other Side of Fear
00:27:52
24. S1E24 - What Matters Most
00:30:10
23. S1E23 - Make a Mental Shift
00:34:20
22. S1E22 - What’s Next
00:28:53
21. S1E21 - The Positive Affect
00:27:26
20. S1E20 - Start Your Impossible.
00:29:48
19. S1E19 - Are You Lucky?
00:33:25
18. S1E18 - The Best Time of Your Life
00:33:12
17. S1E17 - Successful Leaders are Twice-Born
00:32:20
16. S1E16 - Your Personal Power
00:33:00
15. S1E15 - Follow Your Impressions
00:31:11
14. S1E14 - Get Inspired
00:30:18
13. S1E13 - Just Try
00:31:58
12. S1E12 - Be a Person of Action
00:32:32
11. S1E11 - Reframe It
00:31:14
10. S1E10 - The Power of Priming
00:23:45
9. S1E9 - Keep Your Confidence
00:30:45
8. S1E8 - The 13th Virtue
00:28:32
7. S1E7 - Finish What You Started
00:29:40
6. S1E6 - Get Out of the Murky Middle
00:23:56
5. S1E5 - How Do You Find Greatness?
00:25:04
4. S1E4 - We All Fail--Remember It’s Halftime
00:28:11
3. S1E3 - Listen to the Right Voice
00:29:54
2. S1E2 - Put Words to Work
00:29:25
1. S1E1 - Open Your Eyes
00:28:23
trailer Trailer
00:01:50