Florida's HB 837, the new tort reform bill signed by Governor DeSantis, contains sweeping limits on lawsuits and is likely to have detrimental consequences for accident and injury victims in Florida. While it may appear reasonable to those outside the legal profession, Matt Dolman and Stan Gipe are here to debunk common misconceptions and reveal the true impact of this bill on accident victims in Florida.
Initially aimed at addressing nuclear verdicts (which are quite rare), the bill has evolved to create chaos in areas such as doctors' fees in personal injury cases, negligent security standards, and the ability to pursue minor claims, among others. Furthermore, the bill favors insurance companies by forcing citizens to cover attorney fees, enabling these companies to manipulate the law and profit from countless claims.
Join hosts Matt Dolman and Stan Gipe in this episode as they delve into the detrimental implications of the new tort reform bill and what it means for you. They examine each amendment in detail, explain how they directly impact Florida residents, and highlight the overarching issues associated with Florida's tort reform bill.
In this episode:
- [00:27] An overview of the changes included in Florida’s tort reform bill, HB 837
- [02:25] How the bill will negatively impact the healthcare treatment personal injury victims receive
- [04:35] Exploring the implications of a letter of protection
- [06:55] The problems arising from introducing Medicare rates in personal injury cases
- [08:46] The misguided effort to eliminate nuclear verdicts – how the HB 837 falls short
- [12:59] Why uninsured and underinsured drivers are far more expensive for Florida citizens than lawsuit verdicts
- [16:01] How HB 837 really hurts the people of Florida
- [23:47] Understanding the 51% standard and the challenges it presents for accident injury victims
- [27:55] The major problem with the HB 837 tort reform bill: the people drafting and voting on these laws often lack industry-specific expertise and, as a result, may not fully grasp the implications of their decisions.
💡 Meet Your Hosts 💡
Name: Matthew A. Dolman, Esq.
Title: Partner at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
Specialty: Matt is a nationally recognized insurance and personal injury attorney and focuses much of his practice on the litigation of catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases throughout Florida.
Connect: LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram
Name: Stanley Gipe, Esq.
Title: Partner and Head of Litigation at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
Specialty: Stan is a Florida Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer. This distinction connotes expertise in the discipline of trial practice. He has served as lead counsel on over 1,000 Florida personal injury lawsuits.
The insights and views presented in this podcast are for general information purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information presented is not a substitute for consulting with an attorney. Nor does tuning in to this podcast constitute an attorney-client relationship of any kind. Any case result information provided on any portion of this podcast should not be understood as a promise of any particular result in a future case. Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers: Big firm results, small firm personal attention.